Friday, March 4, 2011

Oni

I realized all of my monsters were male (or very male-like) and I don't want to be sexist, so here is the first female monster for Scott Washington's upcoming indie game.
Throughout this project I've been focusing on lighting techniques. Here I started with the red rim light from the top/club side, then I rendered the blue key light from the bottom/other side. When not using side light I'll render objects as if there's just a front fill light.
I tried to stay more to the Oni of Japanese folklore more than the D&D or any other demon, even though my version is a woman. The club she's wielding is a kanabo, a japanese club. I just realized I forgot to make the end half iron instead of wood, which I think is okay for readability considering the small size of the art. I hear there's a saying, "like giving a kanabo to an oni," which would kind of be like giving Wolverine from X-Men the ability to shoot lasers out of his eyes.
I've also been trying to put a uni-brow on one of my monsters for a while now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*thumbs up*