Friday, October 22, 2010

Troll & more work

Started a third project, Kitchen of Terror, which I'm super excited about. It's about anthropomorphized vegetables being cut up and cooked for human consumption.
Also still workin on Scott Washington's Relentless Dungeon, and cranked out another monster art piece today, but still needs a few revisions.
Above is art for the Troll monster. Again I tried to base it on common concept of what a troll is crossed with the fantasy D&D style troll, and ended with a mutated version of one of those troll dolls.
The hair still bothers me, but I need to move on. When it's seen in the game it'll only be 200 pixels so I have to keep myself from putting a lot of effort into each monster.
The face is a bit based off of the trolls from Ernest Scared Stupid, which traumatized me as a kid and is one of the few movies that gives me the willies, even to this day. That made it a bit difficult to work on this piece.
I struggled again with the skin color. Goblins, orcs, trolls and ogres all have green skin in my subconscious for some reason, so I have to force myself to come up with alternative palettes. The goblin was green, so the troll is more blue-green. Trolls in Warcraft are blue, but they're basically elves with tusks. Ogres from oblivion are blue so I'll really have to come up with something else if I paint an ogre. Maybe more flesh colored I suppose. Orcs in D&D are gray, so I'll probably do that if I paint an orc. Maybe brown-green.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about Kitchen of Terror too. Have you read the script? It's so horrible--- in a good way.

That was a really smart idea to paint over the render!

The face of the troll is creepy, that's perfect! It's only the hair that is making it look like the troll dolls. I do like the blue-grey color. Sometimes it helps me to think about where they would live in "real" life if I have trouble with something like that... I guess I think of ogres being more mountain-oriented, orcs living underground, and trolls skulking in valleys or under (hah) bridges. Would they blend in or stand out from their environment? ... sometimes it helps, I guess, but not always. I like your guy how he is...

Oh hey, weren't the trolls in the Orcs book super weird? You could take something from that description, maybe, if you wanted.

Looking forward to seeing more stuff =D

Will O said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll start thinking about where my monsters would live in real life, and I believe that will help a lot.

I was also planning on modeling an orc from the Orcs book at some point, and have some notes from Bodyguard of Lightning on small details. Do you want me to send you those notes?

Can you remind me about the trolls? I don't remember them in Orcs.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I would love some notes, thanks =D. I remember that they have those leopard teeth on necklaces and tattoos (later scars) on their cheeks, but that's about it and I don't have the books to root through.

Hm. I think the trolls had big eyes, were furry, and lived underground. The wolverines stole an instrumentality from them, I think, if you need to find that place in the book...